Welcome to the Highlander Studios blog.

I won't promise any earth shattering revelations here. What I will be trying to do is post some new products as I release them, share some thoughts on gaming and show some pics of games and other stuff that I enjoy. So come in and make yourselves at home.


Friday, April 10, 2020

Apocalypse Tips


     As we self isolate I find myself very aware of how I spend my days. There has been a lot of similarity between now and before isolation for me, but there is a renewed sense of urgency about certain things. Getting enough exercise, home security, food security, and rationing scarce items have floated to the top of my priority list. Along with the physical needs being met, our emotional and mental well being really need to be buttressed.

     My list of apocalypse tips started as a tongue-in-cheek reaction to food rationing. The list continued to grow over the last two weeks as I found myself doing things to strengthen our current position. It is not numbered sequentially as it was never intended to be complete; more an exercise to order my thinking. lift my spirits, and process some of the crazy shit going on in the world.

     Apocalypse tips:

          1) Eat the foods you don't like first. This is an approach I've take to eating the food on my plate ever since I was a child. I hate finishing a meal with a food that lacks interest. I figure in a tough situation, having some of the foods you enjoy later on will be a bit of a morale boost. You powered through that quinoa for weeks, now it's time for pancakes.


          7) Keep your tools sharp and your wits sharper still. Well kept tools will serve you well now and even in the most mundane times. Sharp wits will allow for the judicious use of those tools. And honestly, I just like to sharpen stuff.


          10) Exercise. Sound body, sound mind. It also helps me burn off a lot of nervous energy. I am fortunate that I have about a cord of wood to split and 2000 sq ft of bamboo to tend. It's probably enough exercise to last until I'm 65.


          12) Know your local edible plants. This one is born more of curiosity than necessity. I read a post about ramps and decided I wanted to try some. There are about 10 varieties of edible plant on our property that I can identify and harvest. I highly recommend trying them out before times get tough so you know which ones you want to eat. Some of them taste so bad that starvation seems like a reasonable option.


          13) Develop new skills. Not only will this keep your hands and mind busy, but you could add vital resources. I was planning to add bees this year anyway. Covid 19 has provided the push to get it done.



     This list is not meant to make anyone a prepper or survivalist. But it has helped me pass the time and make some sense out of things. I hope this finds you all well where you are and I wish you all peace and health. Stay safe. Stay strong. I'll see you on the flip side.

1 comment:

Unknown said...


You made such an interesting piece to read, giving every subject enlightenment for us to gain knowledge. Thanks for sharing the such information with us
BG Gaming