Welcome to the Highlander Studios blog.

I won't promise any earth shattering revelations here. What I will be trying to do is post some new products as I release them, share some thoughts on gaming and show some pics of games and other stuff that I enjoy. So come in and make yourselves at home.


Monday, July 8, 2013

Kickstarter Manifesto


During the last six months I've had several people approach me about sculpting for Kickstarter campaigns of one sort or another. Most discussions involved a lot of sculpting in a short time period with a lot of the work being done before the campaign even started. Most also involve paying my regular rates to sculpt for a project that the owner hopes will become the next big thing and make a ton of money. That's all well and good, but at that point I'd be better off sculpting for myself and doing my own crowd funding. So after several weeks of serious thought I've decide to write my Kickstarter Manifesto.

Clients who wish to hire me to work on a crowd funding project can do so for a percentage of the total funds collected. That percentage will be based on how much of the actual project is miniatures. For example, aboard game that requires a few miniatures 15-20% may be enough. For a project that is mostly based on miniatures 50-75% would be more appropriate. A lot depends on exactly how many figures would be required and the original funding goal.

Sharing the risk of a project is good. However, sometimes actual sculpts are wanted to show when the crowd funding launches. If work is required before funding is obtained, I'll require a $50 - $100 non-refundable retainer for each figure to be sculpted. This retainer will be subtracted from my percentage of funds collected. If the project doesn't fund, the retainer can be used toward the purchase of the sculpts at my normal rates. Any figures not purchased remain my property to produce and/ or sell as I see fit.

The last item I'll require is one complete set of all the project's materials including any stretch goals.


2 comments:

Durutti said...

It seems correct.

Eli Arndt said...

Not sure i understand the why of this.

-Eli