Welcome to the Highlander Studios blog.

I won't promise any earth shattering revelations here. What I will be trying to do is post some new products as I release them, share some thoughts on gaming and show some pics of games and other stuff that I enjoy. So come in and make yourselves at home.


Friday, July 26, 2013

Land of the Living


     Historicon has come and gone. The trip was big fun, but I've been ill since Sunday. Could just be exhaustion or it might be some sort of Montezuma's revenge. Either way, the last 5 days were not very productive. However, I seem to have traveled through and arrived in the land of the living once again.

     I wasn't at the convention as a retailer this year. Splintered Light and Rebel Minis provided me with a badge and some space in their demo area to sit and sculpt. Thursday morning started off with lung clogging diesel fumes as someone was moving a deuce and a half to a new spot in the middle of the dealer hall.


     The rest of the morning and afternoon was spent helping a few friends set up games and talking with other vendors and attendees.

     Friday and Saturday were spent sculpting, and spelling some vendor friends while they took short breaks. I managed to get two commissions completed by the close of the dealer hall on Saturday. Friday evening several of us ventured into downtown Fredericksburg to eat. The Mexican place we had chosen was really small and couldn't seat nine of us together or at all for that matter. We ended up down the street at the capital Ale House. Excellent food and a jaw-dropping selection of beers. Blue Mountain Dark Hollow was my beer of choice for the night. It's an impressive Imperial Stout with a whopping 10% alcohol content. I'll be looking for more of that here in Pittsburgh.

     Saturday evening I wandered the gaming area and took a few pictures. This is one of the few conventions that I actually made time to do this. Usually I'm busy blabbing and running and/ or playing games. But I had a few hours to kill until my 930pm race start. Here are a few of the games I found interesting.

     Tarawa was impressive for it's sheer scope. The whole island was modeled and the troops were just hitting the beaches when I walked in.


     Another truly impressive game was the pirate game with the sea, ships and islands. It wasn't possible to get a picture of the whole layout as it spanned several tables. I only have one picture that doesn't do it justice. No close ups as the game and judging was in process while I was there.


     Not all of the games were that expansive. This little Civil War battle was really well done terrain and figures.


     There was a nice looking smaller scale iron clad battle.


     And a much larger scaled ironclad battle. with an area of land fighting off to one side.


     Two games that were of particular interest to me for the subject as well as the terrain were a wild west game in 40mm I believe.


     And a post apocalyptic table.


     It always happens that when I'm playing a game I get too involved to remember to take photos. So I stupidly don't have any of the Sky Runners race late Saturday night. It was however a very eventful race with six of us flying, Brian at Acheson Creations was the winner for the evening which was good. Next year maybe he won't whine about getting some sleep and just jump into the mayhem.

     I have one more game to show, but it will wait for another post.

     Overall, a really good weekend. And now that I'm feeling recovered, I need to get back to sculpting.

3 comments:

Gunrunner said...

Hey Rod! Thanks for sharing your trip! I hope you are on the mend now!

Bailey Records said...

Hey! I resemble that comment!

J Womack, Esq. said...

Ah, the Skyrunners Annual Invitational Open... I competed in the first and second ones, coming third in the second year with my own scudder...

Bob puts on a good race. Sort of wish I had gotten into that game, but I was with Chris Palmer and Victoria Hawkes in the other room.